[ntp:questions] Re: adsl link

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 19:56:37 UTC 2003

In article <bi5nd7$t5b$1 at news-reader5.wanadoo.fr>,
dg <daniel at dgaudry.com> wrote:

> I subscribed to an adsl line whose id changes every 24 hours

Get a better ISP.  DHCP should be done in such a way that leases are renewed,
so IP addresses should never change unless there is extended downtime.  Also
check that your DHCPD is configured to attempt a renewal sufficiently
frequently.

(I wonder if some ISPs actually force renewals to frustrate people running
servers on their cheaper accounts.)

> How can i prevent ntp from shutting down as all servers become unreacheable

ntpd should not shut down, it should free-run.

If you are stuck with forced changes, you will need to deconfigure and
reconfigure the associations, using ntpq.  You will lose quality data
for the association, but not the zero and first order time corrections; the
result will be frequent polls until the quality is reconfirmed.

Seems strange for a Wanadoo subscriber; I would have expected something more
like:

fr-fr, fr, en-gb, en

This is configurable on Mozilla.  (You don't really need the specific en-gb,
but neither do you really need the US English.)