[ntp:questions] Re: Locking memory in ntp

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Sat Sep 27 23:28:23 UTC 2003

Maarten Wiltink wrote:

> Michael Sierchio wrote in message ...
> <mlockall>
>
>>IOW the only guaranteed way of locking all pages in physmem is
>>to run without swap.
>

> And the bulb lit up.
>
> Is this standard procedure in real life NTP servers?

A stratum-1 server will of course have enough RAM to never swap, a good
stratum-2 server ditto.

My S-2 servers also use burst mode against its primary inhouse S-1
references, this handles the case where an ARP table entry have aged
out, causing the first poll in a burst series to take significantly
longer than the rest.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>