[ntp:questions] Re: Locking memory in ntp

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sun Sep 28 08:39:07 UTC 2003

>It shouldn't be a problem unless the NTP traffic through  the gateway takes
>a different path than all the other traffic through the gateway. My border
>router always has the MAC of its default gateway (in this case, the cable
>company) cached.

The NTP server may be several hops past your gateway.  You have
to make sure all those arp caches are loaded with the appropraite
info.  Usually arp cache problems are on the first or last hop, but that
just makes it all the more obscure when it isn't.

There can also be the same sort of problems with routing caches.