[ntp:questions] Re: Using loopback interface as source address for NTP client

Aravind babu aravindforn at yahoo.co.in
Fri Dec 10 10:29:56 UTC 2004

Hi David,

           Thanks for your reply.Why i need loopback as source is " I have a security appliance(Firewall/VPN) .Suppose if the WAN mode is dial-up address will be changed dynamically.I want to remain my request to send from same ip .So i want to use loopback as source so that if WAN address changes also my request will go from same address."I think u got my point.
So is there any facility in linux to configure loopback address as source for NTP client ? I checked the source code of NTP in linux.I am planning to change the source code.Is there any easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Waiting for your reply,
Aravind.

David Woolley <david at djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:
In article ,
Aravind babu wrote:

> Can we use loopback interface as source address of NTP client
*** when talking with NTP server ?If yes how can we configure it?In
*** which configuration file we have to change ?

The literal answer is use "ntpdate -d 127.0.0.1" on the machine running
the server and you will have an NTP client using the loopback address,
as source address.

However, I have to assume that the question was meant to be sensible, in
which case you need to explain why you are trying to do something
apparently silly, so that we can understand what you really want to do.