[ntp:questions] Re: NTP seems unsuitable for this application... what do you think?

Koos van den Hout koos at cs.uu.nl
Tue Dec 14 13:05:08 UTC 2004

John Seal <sealj at indy.raytheon.com> wrote:
> We have a networked system with the following characteristics:

> - Not on the internet.
> - Several dozen hosts, mostly Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 9.
> - Normally OFF, turned ON only during use for 8-10 hours at a time.
> - Hosts booted in random order as needed, sometimes not all of them.
> - Clock batteries cannot be easily replaced, so they're often dead.
> - Time (but not date) is available, ultimately from GPS, I think.

You could consider setting up a dedicated small, old PC as timeserver
running 24 hour/day, and giving it a peer relation with the machines that
have GPS time.

                                                     Koos

Koos van den Hout, herding Suns and networks as koos at cs.uu.nl
+31-30-2534104              PGP keyid 0x27513781
http://idefix.net/~koos/            Use PGP when possible!
Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites http://camp-wireless.org/