[ntp:questions] Re: NTP sync problems

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Thu Dec 16 10:27:08 UTC 2004

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 12:43 PM -0600 2004-12-15, Robert Rati wrote:
>
>>                         This is what spurred my original question which
>>  was, shouldn't NTP sync to the server(s) with the lower stratum
>>  regardless of how different the time is that is being served from
>>  higher stratum servers?
>

>     Because this is not the way the NTP algorithms were designed to
> work.  If you want to use just one time server to which everyone syncs,
> that should work -- until such time as the primary goes down or is
> unreachable.

Right.

If you then wants a secondary, higher-stratum, server as backup, said
server should be configured to also be a client of the primary server.

That way they will agree as long as both are up, and if the primary goes
away, the secondary server will start out with the same time, drop down
a few stratum levels, but still server time.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>