[ntp:questions] Re: Ntpdate - socket in use

Isaac Grover ephesys at myexcel.com
Fri Jan 16 05:46:43 UTC 2004

On 13 Jan 2004 23:53:08 -0800, Paul.Croome at softwareag.com (Paul Croome) wrote:
>The 7's in the 'reach' column imply that ntp has only been running for a
>couple of minutes, so it's not synced yet. Typically, you should let an
>ntp server run for at least 2 hours before you try to sync a client to it;
>it can take that long for the phase-lock/frequency-lock loops to settle down.
>Standard practice is to run an ntp server 24*7.

Unfortunately, I'm on dialup and "gibson" is the modem-connected Linux machine,
through which all Internet traffic from my clients flows.  My standard routine
is to connect from 10:PM-12:AM, as I can usually take care of all my email, ebay
buying/selling, business website updates, etc., within that timeframe.  So,
gibson is only on for two hours a day average.

Is there a way to compress the ntp negotiation for a 24-hour perioud  into a few
hours?

Isaac

Are you losing $14,200.00 per year without your knowledge?
http://bigmoneyandfreetime.web1000.com