[ntp:questions] Re: wireless routers beating on NTP servers

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20040116T105716 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Fri Jan 16 19:26:56 UTC 2004

"Craig E. Johnston" <craig.e.johnston at boeing.com> writes:
> That's strange, I also recently setup a WRT54G (Firmware 1.30.7) and
> it has a place to specify an NTP server (or auto) on the initial setup
> page.  I'm suprised they would remove this option.  Could it be hiding
> on some other page?

Well, my eyesight isn't what is used to be, so after your post I was
worried I'd missed something.  But nope, even after another methodical
search I couldn't find it on any other screen.

What I did notice was the main HTML page http://ROUTERNAME/index.asp
has some commented out code in the html (folks with this firmware can
search for "<!--TR>").  That code presented a box labeled "Time
Setting" with the choices "Manually" (year/month/mday/hour/min/sec
inputting) or "Automatically".  I don't immediately see where it
allowed a selection of NTP servers.  It looks like the only choices
would have been "ntp on" (with their choice of servers)" or "ntp off"
entirely.

I've edited that page to add back the commented out code.  This is
what it would look like had the setting been exposed:

        http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/private/linksys-main.html

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.