[ntp:questions] Re: Clock selection?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.not-this-bit
Sun Jan 18 13:19:26 UTC 2004

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:1YudnY3jCP0QhpfdRVn-sQ at comcast.com...
> Can anyone explain the clock selection here?  Why would the clock with
> the highest delay, offset, and jitter be selected?  To my unpracticed
> eye, 128.59.39.48 appears to be the cleanest source of time!

I've seen this behaviour as well, and I think it has been discussed here.
As I recall, the behaviour I observed was by design.

When you have both landline links (15 - 50ms) and satellite links
(~200ms), the satellite links seem to be selected on the same sort of
basis, something like: the smallest ratio of jitter to delay.  Not a
linear measure, I expect.  I now avoid intercontinental links for this
reason (and they are further away on the network, of course!).

Cheers,
David