[ntp:questions] Re: NTP, Unix and the 34-year itch (better read this)

Thomas A. Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Thu Jan 22 22:15:42 UTC 2004

>Almost all computers of today have some means, such as a time-of-year
>(TOY) chip, to set the system clock at power up or reboot surely within
>within 34 years, but some embedded systems do not.

Speaking of 34 years, my little NTPTime client has the following
magic number built into it:

#define JAN_1_1900 2415021L

Which is the julian day number of the base date for NTP timestamps.

Obviously once we roll into a new 64 bit chunk of time, I'll need a
new base date.

Anyone know what the actual constant is for the next date coming up?
--
      email: Tom.Horsley at worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL      |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+