[ntp:questions] Problems with ntp_adjtime? System clock running too fast...

James Packham james at atkin.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 12:03:37 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've got a problem with the software clock on my RH 9 box running kernel
2.4.21-lufs-030704. It all started when I noticed that it seemed to be
running more than twice as fast as it should, so I adjusted the drift to
-500 to slow it down. This seemed to help, but it's now just a bit
closer to being twice as fast as it should be!

I know ntp is supposed to automatically compensate for big differences
so I ran ntptime to find out what was going wrong and found the lines
separated out a little worrying:

# ntptime
ntp_gettime() returns code 0 (OK)
time c3bb81be.eed6c000 Fri, Jan 23 2004 11:19:26.932, (.932964),
maximum error 335376 us, estimated error 16 us
ntp_adjtime() returns code 0 (OK)
modes 0x0 (),
offset 0.000 us, frequency -500.000 ppm, interval 4 s,
maximum error 335376 us, estimated error 16 us,

status 0x1 (PLL),

time constant 0, precision 1.000 us, tolerance 512 ppm,
pps frequency 0.000 ppm, stability 512.000 ppm, jitter 200.000 us,

intervals 0, jitter exceeded 0, stability exceeded 0, errors 0.

>From the ntp how-to I know that I'm missing PPSSIGNAL from status, which
means no PPS signal has been detected. My question is: What do I do
about it??

Thanks in advance,

~James~