[ntp:questions] Re: Netra X1 time warp

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Mon Jan 26 04:53:44 UTC 2004

At 25 Jan 2004 01:34:08 GMT, Doug McIntyre <merlyn at visi.com> writes:

> this bug should have been fixed in 108528-12, and you seem to be
> running -27.

I'm afraid that wouldn't suffice.  The Netra X1's hardware clock has a
336us update cycle that occurs every second, and the Solaris 8 and 9
drivers sometime accesses the RTC registers during this update cycle.
This yields undefined behavior.

All this is described in Sun bug 4721451, which should be fixed by Sun
patches 112170-02 (Solaris 8) and 114388-01 (Solaris 9).  I think
these patches are essential for Netra X1s whose clocks you care about.

While we're on the subject of Netra X1 clocks (why am I thinking of
the "troublesome trucks" in Thomas the Tank Engine?), there's also a
firmware patch for the Netra X1 that fixes some clock problems.  It's
Sun patch 111952-03, though I think anything from -01 on should
suffice.