[ntp:questions] Re: Peer configuration question?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 23:57:03 UTC 2004

The difference between peers and servers is very simple!

Peers have a symmetric association; either one can supply time to the
other.  If two peers have different opinions as to what time it is, they
will try to determine who has the more accurate time and both will use
that time.

Servers are asymmetric; a server can supply time to you but will not
accept time from you.

For maximum reliability, you would have your two stratum 1 servers
configured as peers.  If everything is working properly, these two
servers should track each other and the "correct" time within a few
microseconds.  If either GPS receiver fails, the server it is connected
to will obtain the correct time from its peer and continue to serve its
clients.  If you have a network neighbor who also operates stratum 1
servers you might wish to peer with his servers as well.  A setup like
that gives you both a defense in depth against failures of reference
clocks, or servers.

Configure your stratum 2 servers to peer with each other and to be
served by both stratum 1 servers.  All clients should be served by the
stratum 2 servers.

Your single point of failure would be the GPS satellite system itself.
Highly unlikely but the DOD could just pull the plug on all those
satellites. . . .