[ntp:questions] Re: ntpdc questions

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Mon Nov 1 15:24:11 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-31, Nagy Bela <belus at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu> wrote:

> So far, I found several good, public NTP servers, I can start ntpd,
> I can delete (unconfig) servers (with ntpdc).
>
> Now my problem is: If I specify a server with the following two lines
> in ntp.conf, then how can I add it again (with ntpdc)?

ntpdc does not implement all of the server/restriction options available
in ntp.conf

You should be specifying your remote time servers in your ntp.conf

> server x.y.z.w minpoll 6 maxpoll 10

As has been stated by another poster, you should not change the
min/maxpoll setting unless you really know what you are doing and know
for a fact that you really need to be changing them.

> restrict x.y.z.w mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery

Please see my article in the "restrict in ntpdc" for more information
about restrictions.

> Where are up-to-date documentation for ntpdc?

Follow the "Official Documentation" link at
http://ntp.isc.org/Main/DocumentationIndex. Then follow the link to
"Program Manual Pages" ...

NTP Public Support Project - http://ntp.isc.org/