[ntp:questions] Re: Bought a GPS receiver--What next?

Harlan Stenn stenn at maccarony.ntp.org
Wed Nov 3 04:38:12 UTC 2004

In article <cm8cdi$g10$1 at dewey.udel.edu>,
David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:
>Folks,
>
>Please understand the Community Supported Documentation is not the
>traditional NTP documentation supplied in the current software
>distribution.

This is true, and it is a feature.

> That software documentation is supported by me and is
>intended to accompany the reference implementation of ntpd and friends.

"That" means the stuff Dave writes, which is appropriate for folks using
ntp-dev releases.

>I am happy to acccept corrections and additions to this corpus.

Yes, and you get them.

The problem is you are not able to update the documentation that went out
with older releases.  This problem is solved by the Community Supported
Documentation.

People cannot always update their ntp installations to the a version that
corresponds with "allegedly better documentation".

We need a way to augment the documentation, at least until we find a way
to have top-notch documentation for EVERY release.

>There are many other sources of documentation, faq, twichy, questions,
>newsgroup and such, but they are not components of the current software
>distribution.

Yes, and again, this is a feature.  The current software distribution does
not address older releases, and we have no way to update the documentation
for older releases other than the Community Supported Documentation.

>It is my hope that readers of this newsgroup will see the
>important topics discussed on the other lists and will not have to scour
>each of the other lists to keep abreast of current issues.

ntp.isc.org, in particular, is BEST suited to handle many (perhaps not all)
of these issues.  It provides an easy way for people to learn how to handle
issues with a variety of different versions of ntpd.

You, Dave, are the creator of the docs that pertain to the latest release of
NTP.

Ulrich is driving the FAQ.

The community is able to drive the Community Supported Documentation, and
there is room for all these methods and more.

As time passes, we will learn what works and what does not.

Steve is correct that the information described by W.D. is better suited
for ntp.isc.org than living off W.D.'s website.

If somebody wants to send that info to you as well as (or even instead of)
there, that's fine too.