[ntp:questions] Re: server sync's then goes away (rejected)

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 8 22:03:41 UTC 2004

ken lierman wrote:

> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>
>> You describe 3 sets of machines (A, B, and C) and then send the ntpq -p
>> output from one of them.  Which one?  (Or did I not read carefully?)
>> <snip>
>

> already am using burst and iburst.
>
> thanks!

If you are using "burst" simply because it's there, don't!  It's a
special purpose hack that was never intended for general use.
It places eight times the normal load on the network and on the server.
burst should never be used unless you own the server being abused, or
unless you have the permission of the owner!

Iburst, OTOH, is a means of initializing an association quickly and is
recommended for general use.