[ntp:questions] Re: NTP configuration for a two node cluster

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 20:52:15 UTC 2004

In article <mailman.9.1096983431.72027.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>,
Enrique Siepe <esiepe at usrlam.com.ar> wrote:

>            I have a two node cluster configured as peer to peer for
> NTP.

What do you mean by this?  NTP doesn't support isolated operation.

>      These Sun/Solaris  machines are NTP servers for a set of clients
> machines. Now is required to synchronize the cluster to the stratum-1
> NTP server of the company network. Does anybody knows which is the

If your previous configuration worked, they are either stratum one
servers already, so they will ignore the new stratum one server, or
they were synchronised to at least one server, so you already have
the basic configuration for synchronising them to the new stratum
one server.  You might also have had them synchronised to their
local clocks, but in that case, either they have their stratums
fudged more than two apart, in which case you have an effective
client server configuration, or they will have been maintaining
completely independent times, because both would reject the other
on the basis of stratum.