[ntp:questions] Re: Problem with good synchronization.

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Oct 16 00:32:41 UTC 2004

Harlan,

It might not be self-evident, but more that two different strata in a
chain like you propose is unstable. I have seen random cliques form,
re-form and break in such configurations.

It is not necessarily a Bad Thing to lose all synchronization sources,
as typically a herd of cows can run without the bulls for a day and a
half without sliding beyond the step threshold. Better to elect not more
than two bulls and let the rest be cows.

Dave