[ntp:questions] Re: What is a good, cheap, Linux-supported hardware clock for a NTP-server? Any recommendations?

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Mon Oct 25 06:31:14 UTC 2004

Hello Evert,

it can be problematic to receive a reliable DCF77 signal in Norway. In
fact we have a few DCF77 customers there, but as the other gurus wrote,
it heavily depends on your location. The few DCF77 based receivers in
Norway are PZF models (pseudo random sequence), which synchronize with
the DCF77 signal only during the night, when a lot of disturbance and
radio noise is lower compared with the day.

I would recommend a GPS receiver, you could choose an internal PCI card
like the GPS169PCI, which comes with a Linux kernel driver (for 2.2, 2.4
and 2.6 kernels) and works flawlessy with NTP.

Kind regards,
Heiko

Evert Meulie wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> My (public) NTP server current 'leeches' its time from other servers
> higher up the tree. I'd like to get my own hardware unit now.
> The 2 (affordable) options are DCF77 & GPS, right? Who can recommend
> something?
> It doesn't really matter to me whether it's a serial or USB unit...
>
> I'm based in Norway.
>

> Regards,
>     Evert

Meinberg Radio Clocks
www.meinberg.de

IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.