[ntp:questions] Re: Good and cheap GPS receivers

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut at wollmersdorfer.at
Sun Oct 31 08:44:33 UTC 2004

m.marien wrote:

> There is a caveat. I recently replaced the windows on my house.

Same here. The new windows are made from steel armed thermoplastic.

> They have
> low E rating and it blocks the GPS signal completely. I get a better signal
> in the middle of the room then near a window.

You cannot predict how good the quality of received electromagnetic
waves will be in an complex environment. E.g. two of my five radio
clocks did not change automatically from summertime to wintertime this
night. One of the same model did, one did not. They are only 3 m apart
from each other.

Yesterday I ordered a GPS mouse to try out, if there is any useful
signal in any place, before buying a better device. Worst case I could
mount an antenna on the roof, as there is an unused TV-antenna (people
now have cable TV) with a stable mount near a chimney, and I can cable
through an unused flue ending in my server room. But I am not sure if I
really want to do this, just for going beyond the microsecond.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer