[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd config related problem

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Apr 6 14:53:54 UTC 2005

On 2005-04-06, Metal Gear <finattack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply but i m stilll unable to do what i wanted to do so.
>
> My new configs are listed below
>
> server 127.127.1.0 <http://127.127.1.0>
> fudge 127.127.1.0 <http://127.127.1.0> stratum 10
> driftfile /etc/ntp/ntp.drift
> broadcast 192.168.1.255 <http://192.168.1.255>
> logfile /var/log/ntp.log

The <http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd> on the server, fudge, or broadcast lines
mean nothing to ntpd.

> when i do 'service ntpd restart' my local time goes ahead 1 hour from
> hwclock.

<snip>

> Other problem is that i was using master clocks from the internet '
> clock.redhat.com <http://clock.redhat.com>' and it worked good for a
> week but i think 'dayy light saving times' are enabled and my clock
> goes ahead 1 hour as compared to local PST (pakistan Standard Time).
> Is there a method that i can deduct one hour from the internet time
> and then broadcast on local network.

ntpd uses UTC (which does not change for Daylight Saving, or Summer,
Time. You need to properly configure your operating system for your
time-zone.

> When i use graphical utility 'redhat-config-date' the ntp server
> checkbox is marked and nothing is written in the addresss. While
> systems on the network cannot syn with server.

ntpd will abort on start-up if your clock is more than 1024 seconds (~17
minutes) off unless you use the '-g' option.