[ntp:questions] Re: NTP, Mac OS X & Cisco 837

viz viz at REMOVEBLOCK.pacific.net.au
Thu Apr 14 02:17:58 UTC 2005

On 14/4/05 6:08 AM, in article d3ju8o$17s$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com, "Terje
Mathisen" <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote:

> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>
>> viz wrote:
>>> I am one of those anal retentive pedants who has to have every clock
>>> in the
>>> office/house/wrist synchronized. A psychiatrist would have a field day
>>> with
>>> me...! :)
>>>
>> Welcome to CA  (Chimeheads Anonymous).

Hah! :)

(But what is a _Chime_head? I thought "Chronos" would have been more
appropriate...

> Is there a support group for us?
>
> Personally I have four GPS and one DCF-77 refclocks, as well as 5-10
> regular radio controlled wall/alarm clocks.
>
> My cell phone gets adjusted automatically by most foreign phone
> companies, but not at home in Norway.
>
> My Garmin GPS must be adjusted for local time zone when travelling
> (unless I want to keep the track log in UTC).
>
> This leaves the Olympus camera, the VCR and the microwave with clocks
> that must be adjusted manually.
>
> Terje

So good to see that there is more than one of me... :)

There are a number of practical applications for being this way inclined -
believe me. One of my other hats is being an aircraft pilot - one has to be
overhead a nominated waypoint ± 2 minutes - and as such I have my wristwatch
sync'ed exactly (or exact as I can). Which is of course, sync'ed off the
computer and cross-checked off an aviation website, although there are
latency issues with that site...

But for more immediate and  practical purposes - my Cisco router only has
SNTP and I am finding that a dog when it comes to any sort of accuracy. So I
thought I would setup an NTP server on my Mac, and get the router to read
off that. I do need to know who, why and *when* someone is knocking on my
door. At the moment for some reason the router has defaulted to some time in
March 2002...

Not quite as easy as I thought, as I have discovered. :(

/viz