[ntp:questions] using ntpd to initialise time instead of ntpdate sets wrong time.

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Apr 14 17:52:07 UTC 2005

At 12:49 PM -0400 2005-04-14, mayer at gis.net wrote:

>  Try using ntpd -gq since -g will ignore limits.

	Using "-q" would cause the ntpd to quit after initial sync.  I
don't think that is desired.  The "-g" option is desired, for the
reason of ignoring limits.

>                                                   What version of ntpd
>  do you have on this system? Recent versions will set the date correctly
>  (modulo 68 years).

	Only very recent versions appear to do that.  4.2.0-RELEASE still
has the bug, as do ntp-dev tarballs up until pretty recently.  I was
running an ntp-dev tarball a little while back that still had the
34-year bug.  I know that this was supposedly fixed, but it was
apparently "fixed" many times before it was finally actually fixed.

	And I have yet to do extensive testing to ensure that the bug is
actually fixed now.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755