[ntp:questions] Re: NTP, Mac OS X & Cisco 837

viz viz at REMOVEBLOCK.pacific.net.au
Fri Apr 15 03:06:32 UTC 2005

On 15/4/05 5:53 AM, in article slrnd5tii6.mvc.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net,
"Steve Kostecke" <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> wrote:

> On 2005-04-14, Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
>> At 10:52 PM +1000 2005-04-14, viz wrote:
>>
>>>  Think I have it running now - sort of...
>
> <snip: list-o-servers>
>
>> That should be eleven servers, which is more than you need.
>> Anything more than nine servers is considered "unfriendly", and I
>> think that ntpd has a built-in hard coded limit of ten that it will
>> actually use.
>
> ntpd sorts the peers by synchronization distance and discards any beyond
> the first ten.
>
> If you're an authorized/permitted user of your chosen remote time
> servers _and_ are not violating any conditions set up by the operators
> of those servers _and_ have not misconfigured your ntpd to poll
> excessively, I don't see how any arbitrary number can be considered
> unfriendly.
>
> Obviously, there is a point of diminishing returns...
>
>> Moreover, many of these servers do not appear on the list of
>> servers that I mentioned.  Where did you get them from?
>
> The pool?

Someone was querying my sanity in wanting accurate time (don't worry I query
my sanity all the time ;)

This puts it in a nutshell, especially the end comments:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2002-July/003847.html

/viz