[ntp:questions] Re: Initial Setting

mgrd mgrd at gmx.net
Mon Apr 25 22:20:34 UTC 2005

David Schwartz wrote:
> "mgrd" <mgrd at gmx.net> wrote in message
>>But where's the relationship between this and the problem of the OP?
>
>     The point is that 'netdate' is not really all that useful anymore. It's
> not likely that he can easily find a list of servers that he can query. A
> more useful tool would be one that connected to a few web servers and got
> the time/date from the header.

Agreed. Maybe I miss something but I'm on the opinion that:
- xntpd requires a *defined* list of (outside) servers
- `netdate' also requires *defined* servers

If that's true the disadvantage you clearly pointed out belongs to both.
But maybe *that* is the point I'm going wrong.

To make it clear what I mean:
- xntpd is configured to use out-server1, out-server2, out-server3 in
   /etc/ntp.conf
- I parse /etc/ntp.conf and give the three out-servers `netdate' as it's
   servers
Both amounts of servers are finite. All servers can be used as an
"argument" for both xntpd and `netdate'
So I still don't get the difference concerning the OPs issue.

--
reply to usenet only