[ntp:questions] Re: a new NTP implementation (dntp)

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Apr 27 02:48:21 UTC 2005

David,

Well, there never was a real 7-bit ASCII, except on the Digital TOPS-20
machine, which encoded characters as five 7-bit septets in one 36-bit word.

I prepared both the SNTP and Autokey documents with FrameMaker in Postel
style format encoded as PDF. A kind soul converted the PDF to Postel
ASCII using his own tools. The Autokey document is full of modular
arithmetic and formulas that would be destroyed in such a process. It's
possible that much of the NTPv4 specification project could be done the
same way.

Dave