[ntp:questions] Problem with Z3801A ASII data

Philip Leonard leolists at seidkr.com
Mon Aug 1 13:31:22 UTC 2005

John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> Philip Leonard wrote:
>
>>I have a Z3801A that I can't seem to get the proper ASCII data stream
>>out of.  I'm using a Sun Ultra 5 running FreeBSD 5.3 and ntp-4.2.0 which
>>has been patched for the 19200 7o1 serial settings the Z3801A wants.
>>When I start ntpd I get the following type of stuff in clockstats and,
>>of course, ntp will never sync to the Z3801A.
>

> Ignore my post a minute ago; I was braindead and missed that you'd
> already patched for the serial settings (though note that in 4.2.0 the
> original Jeff Mock patch doesn't work, because he uses the "ttl" setting
> as a switch, which doesn't work anymore).

Right.  I actually patched it so that 19200 7O1 happens no matter what
the ttl setting is.  It is really strange.  I had it working okay under
Gentoo Linux but when I changed to FreeBSD I get this weirdness.  Even
if I talk to the Z3801A with minicom it returns garbage characters, but
if I use a terminal program under Windows it responds just fine.

Philip