[ntp:questions] Synchronisation lost with swisstime.ethz.ch

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Aug 11 17:03:51 UTC 2005

At 5:29 PM +0200 2005-08-11, Frank Olsen wrote:

>  That's what I've done (using [012].europe.pool.ntp.org).

	That's a good start, but you want to use more than three upstream
servers.  You really need a minimum of four, preferably at least
five, and you should consider whether you want as many as seven.  The
page I referenced should have the details as to why.

>  Just a final question: while I disconnected my server from swisstime.ethz.ch
>  my server drifted by 0.6 seconds in about 5 hours; does this seem like a
>  normal drift for the internal clock of a server?

	Yeah, that sounds typical.  This is why you want to make sure you
have enough good upstream time servers.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755