[ntp:questions] Re: Spectracom 8170 question..

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 12 19:47:00 UTC 2005

Hal Murray wrote:

>>Schematics are at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/8170/. You
>>can find the DIPswitch, eyeball the component ID and go find it on the
>>board. Send it T to wake it up. The * means it's not synchronized. I
>>hope you got the antenna/preamp; it doesn't work without it. Also be
>>aware the heavier UPSes produce so much RFI that we have had to stand
>>down both of our 8170s.
>>

>How far apart are (were) the UPSs and the 8170s?
>
>Do the 8170s still work if you locate them somewhere nice or does the
>crap from the UPSs get back out on the power line and polute the
>whole area?  (In which case the problem could be from UPSs in
>other buildings/organizations...)
>
>Do home size UPSs have the same problem?  Perhaps killing the
>"atomic" clocks in the rest of the house?  (The ones that set
>themselves from WWVB.)

I have five UPSs in the house.  All are APC Smart UPS or BackUPS ranging
in capacity from 400VA to 750VA.
I have an "atomic" clock (WWVB synch) about 30 feet away from the
nearest UPS.  It runs on two AA cells and so is probably immune to
contamination on the AC line.  It seems to stay synchronized easily.
Your mileage may vary.   (The industrial strength units intended to
support a whole data center may present a whole different problem.)