[ntp:questions] Second Atom/PPS driver meets prefer

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sun Aug 14 19:53:50 UTC 2005

The Atom/PPS driver needs to make sure the system clock is
(well) within a second so that the time it reports isn't
off by an integer multiple of a second.  It does that by
checking to make sure the offset of the prefered driver
is less than clock_max.

That seems reasonable in the normal/simple case.  If you have
a PPS signal, it's probably coming from a GPS device with
a serial port that's connected to some other refclock driver.
You might as well mark that as preferred.

But what if you have 2 GPS clocks?  It seems not-good to have
to pick one as the preferred clock.  You can't use the other
PPS signal if the preferred one dies.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?  Why not check the
system clock instead of the preferred driver?