[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation - why?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Mon Dec 5 09:01:10 UTC 2005

Johan Swenker wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:20:41 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:
>

>> From the graphs here:
>>
>>   http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html
>
> You did notice the spike on thursday. The reason for that spike could
> also be the reason for your current trouble.
>
> When it is not the computer that is causing the trouble, I would say
> it is the network. Possible reasons could be:
> * a half duplex device is talking to a full duplex device;
> * a switch that is nearly dead or equally a nearly dead network
> interface card;
> * an overloaded network link;
> * badly inserted RJ45 connectors (just replug them all).
>
> Hope this new direction leads you to the solution of your problem.

Thanks for that observation, Johan.  Thursday's events could well have
been the cause, this is what happened (approximately):

- I looked at an animation - QuickTime said there was a newer version
available.

- I downloaded the newer version

- on starting to install the newer version, I noted it installed iTunes

- as I have no need for iTunes, I stopped the install

Now perhaps this left things in a half installed, half not installed
state?  Later, I did remove QuickTime entirely and re-install V6.5.2 (with
no iTunes) from a file I already had on disk.

I did notice that suring the install a new service popped up and went
away - IDT InstallDriver Table Manager.  It was started and stopped during
the installation, and occurs only once during the entire event log
history.

Thanks for your suggestions on the network, but other tests don't point
that way.

David