[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation - why?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Dec 8 19:38:21 UTC 2005

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:SdYlf.4949$iz3.4800 at text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
[...]
> - QuickTime Player running (not even playing a video), timer resolution
> just under 1ms (about 960 us)

Probably 1000 or 1024 Hz. Perhaps 1048.576 Hz but that sounds really
unlikely. Odd that it would be slightly _faster_ than 1024 Hz; it
should really lose ticks, not gain time. Perhaps it's supposed to be
1193 Hz but then it would be missing a horrendous proportion of ticks.

> - QuickTime not running, timer resolution seems to step between 15.6ms
> (approx) and 10.5ms.

Probably 64 and 100 Hz. 64 Hz may be related to .Net. It matches the
resolution I observed for System.DateTime.Now evaluation. 100 Hz is
"the" clock resolution for NT as far as I know.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink