[ntp:questions] Re: Using NTP with Trimble Acutime Synchronization Kit

Bruce Rugar brugar at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 9 00:10:08 UTC 2005

"John Kennedy" <john.kennedyjr1 at us.army.mil> wrote in message
news:1133871904.405050.103490 at g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> When you say that the Palisade code is already compiled on windows, do
> you mean it is part of the OS? Or is it just a part of the NTP4.x
> software? If it is already a part of Windows XP, I did not see any way
> to set up the service through windows. I check the add/remove windows
> components, and other control panel items but didn't see anything
> relating to the NTP service. Also, if it is configured this way, how do
> you specify that you are not looking to an ethernet port for timing.
> Most of the apps I have tried to use to do this, always want to look to
> the LAN for timing. I even tried NTP exe. from www.five-ten-sg.com and
> still was unable to make it work. It did synchronize itself to my
> system time, however, it did not synchronize to the GPS device. I also
> used the ntpd.conf from the refclock 29 and changed the dev to COM1.
> Thanks for the info above, I am going to continue to investigate the
> Palisade that is already compiled on windows....if I can find it...
> Thanks alot for all of your comments and suggestions.
>
> John Kennedy

I use Acutime and the www.five-ten-sg.com NTP package with Windows XP.  The
refclock 29 (Trimble Palisade) can only be used with one PC since the PC
queries the Acutime for the correct time.  To use the Acutime with three PCs
I think (but have not used) that you need to configure the Accutime port A
to send NMEA output and configure NTP for refclock 20 (generic NMEA).  Also,
to make NTP work on Windows XP, the Windows Time service must be disable
using Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.

Bruce Rugar