[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation- why?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Dec 12 13:46:59 UTC 2005

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>>IIRC, there was a problem with NTP reading parameters from the
>>command-line when running as a service, but perhaps that was a long time
>>ago.
>

> Right. A few months ago I've sent a patch which fixed this.
>

>>I see that in the services control tool a parameter can be
>>specified.
>

> Yes, the problem was that you could specify the parameters in the service
> control manager, but you could not specify parameters which were evaluated
> when the service was started automatically.

Just to be clear here. The command line options which Martin implemented
requires that the parameters MUST be in the registry as part of the
string that points to the ntpd executable. It is not a separate registry
entry.

The manual start allows you to enter parameters but it does NOT add them
permanently, just for that start. Martin's patch fixes that in the way
stated above.

>>I also hope you remembered to reset the time resolution when
>>NTP closes down (although I can't actually see it being a problem if a
>>program forgot to do this).
>

> The latest patch I've sent also contains code which shuts down all threads
> properly and writes a message to the event log when the service shuts down.
> Without that patch the service could exit too early so that some tasks
> (e.g. the log message, and the time reset) were unable to complete
> properly.

I haven't even started to look at that one yet.

Danny