[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation- why?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Mon Dec 12 15:21:35 UTC 2005

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> David J Taylor wrote:
[]
>>> I see that in the services control tool a parameter can be
>>> specified.
>>

>> Yes, the problem was that you could specify the parameters in the
>> service control manager, but you could not specify parameters which
>> were evaluated when the service was started automatically.
>>

> Just to be clear here. The command line options which Martin
> implemented requires that the parameters MUST be in the registry as
> part of the string that points to the ntpd executable. It is not a
> separate registry entry.
>
> The manual start allows you to enter parameters but it does NOT add
> them permanently, just for that start. Martin's patch fixes that in
> the way stated above.
[]

OK, to be clear.  Comparing on my own system, Zone Alarm has the following
registry entry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon\ImagePath:
  C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service

where the executable is shown with a parameter "-service".

However, looking with the Services applet there is /no/parameter shown for
vsmon.exe, but the "Path to executable" is shown as:
"....\vsmon.exe -service".

At the moment, the path for NTP is shown as:

  C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntpd.exe

whereas if I wish to include the new -M parameter, I would need to alter
the path to:

  C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntpd.exe  -M

A simple "yes" is I hope all the answer I need!

By the way, it's still looking good - we've burnt CDs, printed documents,
scanned, etc. etc. all with the MM timer set to 1ms resolution.

Thanks,
David