[ntp:questions] Re: Leap bits, when to set?

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Thu Dec 22 20:21:51 UTC 2005

David L. Mills wrote:
> The leap bits are set when the timing source, either modem, radio or
> server, set them. However, they are provided to the kernel only on the
> day of the leap.

A clarification: are you talking about the protocol (NTP) or the
implementation (ntpd), or both? I guess it is sensible for an
implementation of NTP to "process" the leap bits only on those two days
of the year leap seconds can occur, but the RFCs are a bit vague on
that. They just talk about setting the bits on the day of insertion. But
don't worry, I won't lose my sleep over this :)

   Tapio