[ntp:questions] Re: Question on abusive clients.

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Fri Dec 23 03:33:19 UTC 2005

David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:
>There are copious examples of that happening right now on the NIST and
>USNO servers. What would you suggest we do to stop it? See the paper

Just wondering w.r.t KoD packets. What does the standard software return
in the various Timestamp fields when it sends a KoD packet?

Perhaps a "known bogus" timestamp could be included in the packet so
that software that ignores the Stratum field of 0 will tend to cause the
software to set itself to a known bad date [1] .

[1] Say 2000-10-13 13:13:13 or something. Actually if someone could
write a perl/python script that just returned that date in KoD mode
then it might be easy for server operators to redirect queries from
abusive IPs to that server.

--
Simon J. Lyall | Very Busy | Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"Inside me Im Screaming, Nobody pays any attention."  |  eMT.

"For a brief shining moment one could dream of a world of human beings
working together and exchanging ideas. But for the most part, the Internet
has been reduced to an alternate way to watch CNN. " - Sean Levin