[ntp:questions] Re: First Galileo satellite launched

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Thu Dec 29 13:28:09 UTC 2005

Marc Brett wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 07:51:19 +0100, Terje Mathisen
> <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote:
>>Used on all Royal Carribean cruise ships, some of them were installed by
>>a friend of mine.
>>
>>The (electronic) maps they use are still 10+ m wrong in some harbours
>>though!
>
> Or they can be 17+ miles! wrong if the antenna cable is disconnected and nobody
> notices:
>
> http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/24.03.html#subj4

I've been reading news:comp.risks for 5-10 years now.

> "the level of faith placed in a GPS and chartplotter scares me."

Sure! :-)

As I've mentioned previously, my main hobby/sport is orienteering, where
you navigate (i.e. run if possible!) from a starting point, via a number
of controls marked on a (paper) map, to the finish.

Individual start, fastest time wins, no fancy gear at all: Just the map
with the marked course and a regular compass.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>