[ntp:questions] Re: Mac OS X + ntpd?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Feb 3 02:04:15 UTC 2005

At 1:30 AM +0000 2005-02-03, Steve Kostecke wrote:

>>  	The 48xx series has some serious problems being used as an NTP
>>  server -- ask Steve.
>
>  Actually the NET4801 does work quite well with FreeBSD 5.3 Release as
>  long you you compile the correct kernel. The problems I experienced in
>  making it work were primarily in finding the necessary documentation.
>
>  The CPU in the NET4801 has an unreliable TSC and does not make a good
>  clock in conjunction with a Linux kernel; I tried 2.4.x and 2.6.10
>  kernels.

	Then there's the USB Audio issue, so that you can connect to a
CHU receiver.  USB Audio apparently works reasonably well under
Linux, but not under FreeBSD.  You may be able to resolve this with a
Mini-PCI card to handle the audio input, but I don't know whether or
not this has been proven.

	Don't get me wrong, I love Soekris.  But I think that people
should be informed of the issues, both pro and con.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755