[ntp:questions] Re: drift/offset

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 23:13:52 UTC 2005

In article <mailman.16.1107418016.583.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>,
folkert at vanheusden.com (Folkert van Heusden) wrote:

> If I look at the grap of the drift/offset of my ntp-server, everything
> seems to be rather jumpy:
> http://keetweej.vanheusden.com/ntp_graph.png

I don't think you said what your platform was, but you seem to be jumping
in multiples of 20ms.  To me that is characteristic of trying to
run NTP on a loaded Windows system; I think it represents the timeslicing.

In particular, if you are running on Windows and running any distributed
computing application (e.g. SETI at Home or the BOINC family in general)
turn it off as this keeps Windows busy.

(You also want to remove the last three servers from your configuration,
as they are too far away from you, and you want to remove the stratum one
servers, as even if you are serving 1,000 downstream clients you don't have
the stability to justify their use.)