[ntp:questions] Re: Modifying the XP Registry for Authoritative Time Service--Doesn't Look Right

m.marien mmATRiverCityCanadaDOTcom
Tue Jan 11 01:13:39 UTC 2005

"Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:a6FEd.3720$Ii4.2443 at newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Win XP Pro.
> This <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314054>
> shows steps to
> modify the registry to use NTP as an external source. Step 3 asks that
> SpecialPolInterval be changed to TimeInSeconds. The current value is
> binary. I have a
> limited knowledge of the use of regedit, but this looks wrong.
>
> BTW, before attempting to modify the registry I exported it. I made a
> mistake early,
> and decided to import the file. It looks like it did this successfully,
> but gave me a
> message at the end that said something like it could not restore all
> values because
> they were in use. Close to that wording. What's that about. I had no
> windows open.
> --

Geez Wayne, you're all over the place in your quest for knowledge. You
actually don't have to modify the registry. Just issue the command:

C:>\net time /setsntp:fqdm

where fqdn is the fully qualified domain name of the ntp time server. I
think you can use any name, as long as your system can resolve it and it
points to a ntp server. This will set all the parameters for you. You don't
have to change it on XP unless you want to change it from the default
time.windows.com. All XP systems default to this time server unless they are
members of a domain. In that case they get the time from a domain
controller.