[ntp:questions] Re: Specifying command line parameters for ntpd running as a w2k service?

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Fri Jan 14 23:05:05 UTC 2005

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> Tapio,
>
> Tapio Sokura wrote:
> [...]
> > To make a long story short: how do I define command line parameters
> > ntpd running as a Windows service?
>
> AFAIK it is not possible to configure command line arguments for
services
> permanently in a way that they are passed to the service when it
starts
> automatically.

Right. Services just ignore any command line arguments.

> Danny,
>
> would it be an acceptable solution to read the command line
parameters under
> Windows from a registry string?
>
> I know you're very busy, and have a large todo list for NTP, so could
I help
> you to integrate such code?

If you have time to do it, that would be helpful. My intent is to read
another Registry key for the command line options and pass that to the
code that reads the option list. I have code in the new installer that
sets up the registry key. However it is currently ignored. Also the
location of the configuration file needs to go into the registry.

Danny