[ntp:questions] Re: abuse or bug ?

Henk Penning henkp at cs.uu.nl
Sat Jan 29 11:47:36 UTC 2005

In <cteni6$puv$1 at dewey.udel.edu> "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> writes:

>Henk,
>
>The ntpd appears to be running properly, although ntpdc lies through its
>teeth and ntpq is a much better diagnostic. The version is the current
>release, although it is well over a year old.
>
>So far as I know, yours is the only report of this behavior. My initial
>concern was that a bug like this occured in a test version and was
>quickly fixed before the test escaped our wires. In any case, that
>occasion was after 4.2.0 was released. Notwithstanding disclaimers, the
>quickest way for us to resume normal programming may be to move to a
>more modern release and stay tuned for further reports, if any.

  If this is a bug, I hope it gets fixed because these 'timehogs'
  (1% of our clients) generate 90% of ntp traffic.

  Here is another one that looks promissing :

  site                count pack/min  last [hrs ago]  first [hrs ago]
  pkimac.arc.nasa.gov 66429  57.4198             0.0             19.3

  Does anyone have a cooperative contact at Ames Research ?

>Dave

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M penning at cs.uu.nl  \_/