[ntp:questions] Re: Cannot synchronize to server with local clock

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Jul 14 08:39:54 UTC 2005

Christoph,

Christoph Bartosch wrote:

>> How can I achieve that the server uses the local clock as reference and
>> that it is able to give the time to the clients?
>
> I've played a little bit around. One observation is, that when I remove
> the "disable ntp" line, the server begins to spread its time to the
> clients as expected.
>
> Now I am not sure about the  "disable ntp" option. How can I assure that
> ntp
> does not modify the local time but spreads it to the clients?  Is "disable
> ntp" correct or not?

You should not configure "disable ntp" which opens the internal NTP control
loop for testing purposes.

If you just have the local clock as ref time source then you should take
care that you not configured a drift file, which wouldn't make much sense
anyway.

If the ntpd finds a drift file with some setting it modifies the system
clock frequency with that value it thinks it has been determined before,
even if the only ref time source is the local clock.

Regards,

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki