[ntp:questions] Setting up meinberg's NTP server on a private network..

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Jul 20 18:46:50 UTC 2005

At 10:34 AM -0700 2005-07-20, sniff at email.arizona.edu wrote:

>  Im working on a private network with about 100 computers, a mix of
>  Solaris, AIX, Linux, and Windows.  I use these computers to run tests
>  and collect the logs in a central place to examime then latter.  My
>  problem is that I want to make sure that all of the timestampes in the
>  logs are the same.  I figured NTP was the best solution. :-)

	NTP is a good way to keep all your systems in sync, yes.  You
need to connect it to some upstream time references one way or
another, however.

>                                                                This lab
>  doesn't have access to the Internet so I can't use a public NTP server.

	Okay, but this doesn't mean that you can't connect to upstream
reference time services via radio, GPS, or other non-Internet method.

>   So, I downloaded meinberg's NTP program and want to set it up as a
>  server.

	It's not their program.  It's a port of the Reference NTP
Implementation for Windows, which I believe that Meinberg compiled
for the benefit of the NTP community, and I believe that they may
have also built the installer system.  See
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads#Precompiled_packages_and_ports_t>.

>           Can Meinberg's NTP server be configured to server as a
>  timeserver without connecting to a public server?

	NTP is not designed to run in a completely disconnected network.
Get yourself some reference clocks, and NTP should work well.
Meinberg makes some excellent hardware refclocks, but there are also
other sources as well.

>                                                     If so can some one
>  point me to a good resouce for writing the NTP.conf file.

	The NTP FAQ is at <http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-a-faq.htm>.  The
official NTP documentation is at
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html>.  We've
created community support page at
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/WebHome> to try to help people
in creating NTP configurations, and you're welcome to contribute to
this page.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755