[ntp:questions] Re: Cannot synchronize to server with local clock

Tim tim at mail.localhost.invalid
Thu Jul 21 12:38:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:32:41 GMT,
mayer at gis.net (Danny Mayer) posted:

> If they are using DHCP, the server may have been configured to send them
> an updated ntp.conf file. You need to turn that off.

I hadn't thought about that during the experiment.  However, these machines
are set up statically, and when I set up my DHCP server for visitors, ages
ago, I put the local time server address into it's data.

Messing with Red Hat and Fedora Linux, I'd noticed that if I used the GUI
to configure things, it'd add extra servers if I only put one in (I haven't
yet looked into it more carefully to work out where it finds the additional
clock server addresses).

If I tried to set the machine to use NTP and it couldn't connect to a time
server, it'd disable NTP completely - I'd have to manually set things
going, again, when I connected.  But if it could connect it'd work, and
would survive the periods when there was no connection, and carry on
working whenever it could, no further intervention required.

--
If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
temporary).  But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

This message was sent without a virus, please delete some files yourself.