Using BIND - was Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How long do I havetowaitfor sync?

mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Jun 3 21:38:37 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> mayer wrote:
> []
> > DNS is a distributed system. Talking abour multiple masters has no
> > meaning in the context that you are discussing. Your clients can
> > point to multiple nameservers including this one and they will get
> > their responses from whichever one that they query.
> []
> > Danny
>

> Danny, I have a misunderstanding here - you seem to be suggesting that
> I  set up a DNS just to define my 4 PCs, and that my clients (these 4
> PCs)  can point to multiple name servers (my new one and an Internet
> one).  However, Brad says that Windows will only talk to the first
> name server,  and therefore the DNS I set up will have to provide
> lookups for both the  addresses of the four local PCs, and the rest of
> the Internet.

Brad is wrong. It will try others if the first one does not respond.

Your local DNS provide authorative service for only your PCs on your
private network and recursive service for the rest of the internet.
Noone else needs to know that your server exists.

> My question about masters refers to this process of my own DNS having
> to  provide data for the rest of the Internet.  I presume it does this
> by  querying upstream servers, in a similar way to NTP clients
> querying their  servers.  The question is: can I define multiple
> upstream servers (like in  NTP) for reliability?  [It has nothing to
> do with forwarders - I think].

You don't need to ask any upstream servers for queries, it will do it
all itself and cache the responses it gets. We recommend against
forwarding queries except in special circumstances. DNS is truly
distributed, otherwise the internet would have collapsed a long
time ago.

> My comments about wanting to see both a noddy's guide and the Windows
> documentation online stand.  That should make them searchable through
> Google, for example.

The ARM is available online, but you also have your own local copy.
>From Google I found this online:
http://www.fiveanddime.net/bind-9/bind-9.3.1/doc/arm/

Danny