[ntp:questions] Ntpd accuracy

mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Jun 8 17:05:43 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> Hi all,
>
> I am testing Nptd on office LAN. The server is my office PC(a dell
> computer, P4 2.8G, 256M RAM, Windows 2000 sp4). Below is its ntp.conf:
> driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
> # local system clock
> server 127.127.1.1
> fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 12

I'm not sure how you can expect ANY accuracy at all and you should
expect large varying offsets running as you are on a Windows system
with ONLY the internal clock which is liable to lose interrupts
because of the way windows is implemented. You need to add external
ntp servers to get any accuracy and reliability.

Danny