[ntp:questions] Re: [Patch] refclock_palisade was "Unexpected offset on startum 1 server"

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Jun 11 21:15:35 UTC 2005

Bjorn,

I haven't heard from Sven Dietrich, the original maintainer, for some
time. As in many such things the enthusiasm may decline when the
employer or job description changes. Frankly, I don't think we need a
maintainer for every clock. The Palisade driver was built in 1997 and
last changed, probably updated by me for some interface wiggle, in 2003.

It's tough to know when to expire a clock. Very old ones that haven't
been heard for awhile have a nasty habit of showing up, like the msfees
and heath and tpro. Others like the bancomm and leitch are still in use
at national laboratories who have not volunteered to maintain.

What I would like to see is for the "old" interface to expire and be
weeded from the code base. Right now both the old and new (ntp_refclock)
  interfaces are supported and there are a handful of drivers that have
not been converted.

Dave