[ntp:questions] What can be uses as an SNTP server (was: How to handle leap second condition correctly?)

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Jun 13 13:00:52 UTC 2005

Danny,

rfc2030 was written before the language police facists came to town. I'm
not going to worry about it and somebody else will have to insert the
SHOULD/MUST nonsense. What you see in the informational document is what
you get. The decision to publish this way was by advice from the IETF
warlords, as the two year delay in publishing informational documents
would likely stretch to forever if on standards track.

It is my intent that the NTPv4 spec should completely and utterly
obsolere rfc1305. Any other course would be confusing, misleading and
shameful. After all, rfc1305 has been in draft standard status for
thirteen years.

Dave